Saturday, September 29, 2007

Eim Habanim Smeichah

Moadim L'simcha! This Yom Tov I was privileged to have a lot of wonderful company. Preparations were many and by the time Yom Tov came along, I was pretty exhausted. When I lit my Yom Tov candles, though, it all felt worth it! Most of my children were with me and some wonderful cousins (who had never spent a chag with us) and my father-in-law were all here!

The first night was beautiful and I enjoyed eating outdoors with the family. Unfortunately, I must have been more tired than I thought because I woke up after nine o'clock. I raced to get everything ready and to get dressed for shul. By the time I got there (I am embarrassed to admit) they were already calling up shlishi to the Torah. That is when my heart began to soar. My twenty year old son was laining! To some that might sound like a big whoop, but to me it was priceless. I felt like I could feel the saying "kol haneshamah t'hallelukah."

I can't quite explain why, but when my boys lain it is more priceless to me than a ticket to any concert. Another one of my boys lained on Shabbat for mincha.On the second day of Sukkot my Rabbi spoke of simcha and what it means. He spoke about finding simcha in the "little things." Perhaps to some these are the little things. To me they are huge! May we all be zocheh to find simcha in our lives in all different places. Moadim L'simcha!

No comments: